Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Banyan Seed Collection

I went on a family vacation to Key West, FL in late June 2011. During the trip I discovered a bunch of large banyan trees. These trees were impressive. I had never seen anything like them before.  So I collected a bunch of seeds and put them in a zip-lock bag. I believe I got about 5 berries in total. Each berry was loaded with seeds.
Banyan Berries
I marked the bag "Banyan Seeds" and went back to my home in Gainesville, Fl. After returning home I placed the seeds in a pot of soil and added some water. After a couple of weeks I got my first sprouts.










Check out this post on how to grow a banyan tree. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/trees-shrubs/growing-a-banyan-tree.htm

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm curious how your project is going. It's been a while since you have posted anything & I am thinking of starting my own banyan collection. Any advice would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy takes! I found this post as intruiging as you did! I to, was hoping there was a further update to the posts.. I recently purchased strangler fig (banyan) seeds from ebay, and propigated them. Over the past year, it's received some harsh treatment, and then a transplant. It's survived well and grown to over 10 inches tall! However, during my online research, I discovered there is well over 800 different species of banyan. I have yet to find mine... But, now it's starting to flower? Excited to see if anyone else is interested in the same subject.

    Cheers friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Namaste,

    I am writing from India and would like to know a few things please. I too have got about five berries or seeds (do not really know if they are berries or seeds) and a stem, got them just today. Just like you the tree amazed me with its raw form. So could you guide me how should i go about planting from those berries and also, kindly, update us on how your project is going ? How are the trees now ?

    Best wishes,
    V

    ReplyDelete